Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Pyracantha are in Bloom

Last fall I made a trip to my local Lowe's home improvement store to pick up a few items.  I ventured out into the garden center which, at that time, was little more than a wasteland of left over plants that had not sold during the season.  To my delight, I found these lovely pyracantha plants.  They were marked down considerably as they wanted to get rid of them before they closed the garden center for the winter. 



I bought nine of them.  As a matter of fact, I think I bought all that were left.  I thought I would give them a try and see what happened.  I planted them the same day I bought them which would have been sometime in October.  These run along the fence between my back yard and the neighbors and will eventually form a beautiful hedge.  Baxter and I were outside this morning and I discovered they were in bloom, so I thought I would share this picture.

If you are interested in planting pyracantha in your yard, here is some additional information from Wikipedia:

Pyracantha is a genus of thorny evergreen large shrubs in the family Rosaceae, with common names Firethorn or Pyracantha. They are native to an area extending from Southeast Europe east to Southeast Asia, resemble and are related to Cotoneaster, but have serrated leaf margins and numerous thorns (Cotoneaster is thornless).
Flowers
The plants reach up to six metres tall. The seven species have white flowers and either red, orange, or yellow berries (more correctly pomes). The flowers are produced during late spring and early summer; the pomes develop from late summer, and mature in late autumn.

No comments: