Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Potted Palms, Peppers, Tomatoes and Begonias

We certainly cannot complain this year that we've had no rain this spring.  The past two days we have had non-stop rain.  It will ease up a bit, but then heavier showers follow.  This morning I awoke to the sound of a downpour before the alarm went off at 6:00 AM.  I can tell how hard it is raining by the sound it makes on the awnings on my bedroom windows.  I immediately turned on the Weather Channel to look at the radar and sure enough, there was a big "blob" of yellow and orange and red right over us at the time.  A few minutes later the alarm went off and Baxter and I got up to start the day.  Breakfast for him.  Coffee for me.  After the rain let up I got a couple of pictures to share.


The potted palms are looking good.  They have both put out new fronds which are slowly opening.  After this round of rain and some sunny days, I'm sure they will really put on a show.


I got a tomato plant and a pepper plant in the ground.  This is the Beefsteak Tomato (left) in this picture and a Cayenne Pepper plant.  I can definitely see some delicious, freshly made salsa in my future.


And last, but certainly not least, a quick picture of a hanging basket with begonias and a dracaena spike for some added contrast.

I so enjoy this time of year.  Getting things planted and watching them grow, whether they produce fruit or not, is a form of relaxation.  And I always look for a bargain.  I got two Scotch Brooms for the planters at the front entrance (yes, I changed them once again) this past weekend at Lowe's for $9.98 each.  They were on a rack of plants that were reduced for whatever reason.  These Scotch Brooms were very healthy.  Maybe they just weren't a big seller.  You never know.  But I got them for 50% off, so you can't beat that.  Look around and see what you can find at your local nursery or big box store.  You may come away with a true gem that you did not plan on adding to your landscape.

No comments: