Monday, January 9, 2012

Winter Preparations

We have been very fortunate in the Mid-Atlantic this year to have had a very mild winter.  The temperature this past Saturday reached 68 degrees in D.C.  That is absolutely unheard of on the 7th of January in most any given year.  To say we did not enjoy it would be untrue.  Sunday was another beautiful day, but not quite as warm.  I fear that old man winter will eventually visit and when he does, he may try and make up for lost time.

With the gift wrapping and social events during the Christmas season, I did not make my way outside to take care of certain things that need attention when we are entering the winter months.  So I decided to take advantage of the weather on Saturday and Sunday and get the air conditioning systems buttoned up.

I have two air conditioners at Crest Avenue.  The first unit is the main unit that sits outside of the house.


This is a ton and a half unit that I installed shortly after I closed on the sale of the house in 2001.  While this unit is certainly ample enough to cool and dehumidify the air during our hot and humid summers, last year I installed a second window unit in my bedroom.


This smaller, window unit helps the larger unit run more efficiently and actually saves money on the cooling costs in the summer.

As you see in the first photo and again here, I wrap both units with Duck Brand, heavy duty plastic covers.

These covers seal out weather, dirt, ice, leaves, moisture and debris.  They are reusable and the securing straps and fasteners are included to keep the cover secure throughout the season.  Installation is a breeze and can be done solo.  The covers range in price from $3 for a small window unit cover to $7 for the larger cover for the whole house unit.

I highly recommend taking some sort of preventative measures for your outside HVAC systems when not is use during the winter months.  Whether you use the Duck Brand or another product of your choosing, a little maintenance now can you save you big later on. 

No comments: