Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Mid-Winter Gardening

As strange as it might sound, this past weekend (that would be the weekend of January 28 and 29) was a good time to spend outside in the garden.  Normally we would not have an opportunity like this on the last weekend of January.  So I decided to take advantage of the situation and get a head start on preparing for spring.  I worked alone.  I like working in the garden alone.  It gives me time to think.  I’ve worked out many situations in my life while digging in the garden.

I normally only hire a crew to help when the project is too time consuming or if I am busy with other projects.  If I can tackle the project on my own, I much prefer that.

This weekend I decided to clear out the dead ferns from the cedar planter on the patio.




And in the stainless steel planters.




Now that the planter is cleared of the dead ferns, it is ready to accept new plantings in a couple of months.





I love the traditional Boston Fern.  They are a staple in the south during the summer months.  I like the movement of the fronds in the breeze.  Very soothing.

This year I decided to bring in two of the many ferns I had during the summer and hang them in the basement.  I have been watering and misting, as these plants really require a lot of humidity.  You can read more about caring for ferns here (http://www.doityourself.com/stry/bostonferns).  I am pleased to say that they are still alive.  They have dropped quite a few leaves, but I think they will make it through the winter.  As soon as the weather permits, they will be placed back outside.  A few waterings with Miracle-Gro in the spring, and they will fill out nicely.

So if you find yourself in a part of the country where the winter is mild this year, as it has been here, take advantage of this time to get ready for spring.  It’ll be here before you know it.  Actually, tomorrow is Groundhog Day, so let’s see what Punxsutawney Phil tells us.  If you would like more information on this holiday, you can visit http://www.punxsutawney.com/.  

No comments: