Sunday, January 22, 2012

Grapefruit Brulee with Vanilla Bean Creme

This evening I prepared the first of the recipes in Dana Moos new book, The Art of Breakfast.

Grapefruit Brulee with Vanilla Bean Creme

I can only say that if the rest of the recipes are this delicious, then I am in for quite an experience this year as I make my way through her book.  This Vanilla Bean Creme is to die for.  I can see many uses for it.  The sweetness is a wonderful compliment to the bitter grapefruit taste.  But I can see this being drizzled over ice cream or as a wonderful dip for strawberries and other sliced, fresh fruits.


I was really pleased with how this turned out.  Believe me, they are as delicious as they look in these pictures.  Surprisingly, this is simple to make.  Once you make the creme you can leave it in the refrigerator for up to one week.  Then when you are ready to serve, simply halve the grapefruits, add two tablespoons of the creme and two tablespoons of light brown sugar and torch immediately.  It takes only minutes to get this on the table but everyone will think you've been in the kitchen for hours.  I will post the recipe on the Food and Recipe page.

No comments: