Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Portulaca


One of my favorite, trailing flowers is Portulaca, sometimes called "Moss Rose."  These were given to me by my friend Lea who picked them up at the Community Market in the spring.  I planted them in a pot and placed it on the front porch where they get plenty of sunlight from early morning until about 2:00 pm during the summer months.  Portulaca is not fussy.  They need plenty of sun and they survive well in drought conditions.  When watering, you should let the soil completely dry out between waterings.  Good drainage is also a must.  The flowers are hardy and I like the succulent leaves of this plant.  The bright colors are also a favorite of mine.  This is called an "annual" plant, although I have heard of people leaving them out over winter and having them come back.  I think that might happen in a temperate climate further south of Maryland.  I may decide to leave these in the pot and let them over winter and see what happens, although I do not have great expectations they will make it through a Maryland winter.

No comments: