Monday, September 19, 2011

More out with the old; in with the new

I also decided to replace the petunias in the planters on the deck steps.  They were positively beautiful in the early summer as you see in this picture.


But, all good things must come to an end and this is what I was left with by the end of last week.



Very sad.  So I said goodbye to the petunias and planted some lovely red mums.





I specifically chose these plants because there were very few flowers that were open.  To buy them already in full flower means much less time to enjoy them.  I would only have bought them in full bloom if I was having an event and needed the color for the event.  Since I have nothing planned this fall, I can enjoy watching these mature.  I buy mums every year.  A couple of years ago, I decided to start planting them in a whiskey barrel in the back yard once they were past their prime.  This way, they will come back each year so I get to enjoy them year after year.  I will do the same with these once they have died back.  I wouldn't mind eventually having many pots of different colored mums placed throughout the back yard.  That would be spectacular. 

No comments: