Saturday, December 17, 2011

Wreath Magic

Nothing says "Welcome" more this time of year than a festive wreath on your front door.  It can be anything that catches your fancy.  You can opt for a traditional evergreen with a simple red velvet ribbon.  Or you can let your imagination lead you where it will.  I have made wreaths from pinecones, walnuts, feathers or just an assortment of small, brightly colored Christmas tree ornaments hot glued on a form.  Or, a combination of all these items.  Whatever you want.  Creativity is the key word.  I am reusing a wreath this year from last year that I put together that I really liked.


This was a creation I made out of two separate wreaths.  The outer section is a dried arrangement that I ordered from Pottery Barn.  If memory serves, these were on closeout and I had a $25 off coupon, so I got it for hardly anything.  Alone, it was pretty boring.  Lovely, but uninspired.  I started rooting around in my Christmas decoration boxes in the attic and found the smaller, red and gold bell wreath with the holly adornment.  I thought hmmm, . . . can I make these two work together?  And a little while later with the help of my trusty hot glue gun, this is what materialized.   One word - stunning!  This is such a spectacular look.  If you are wondering where the little red and gold bell wreath came from, I will tell you that it was probably something I picked up at Target or Wal-Mart.  Just another example of what you can do for not a lot of money to make a spectacular presentation.  It's all about living in comfortable elegance.  It's not about how much you pay for it.  It's about how it looks.  Anybody with a big checkbook can buy an expensive wreath but that doesn't mean it will look any nicer than something you put together yourself.  Comfortable elegance is not about the amount of money you spend.  It's about style and taste.  Style and taste do not necessarily require a big checking account.

No comments: