Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Organizing the Sock Drawer

It's not too late to get started on your resolutions for 2015.  If you made them and time has gotten away from you, no problem.  Start today.  Or this weekend.  One of the things I resolved to get done in the new year was to bring organization to my sock drawer.  And I have been successful.  Read on to see what I did.


My existing attempt at keeping my socks organized had somehow gotten off-track over the years.  I was down to these two clear trays which were not nearly enough to house all of my socks. 


The overflow socks were folded and placed in another drawer of the dresser.  This drove me to absolute distraction.  Some socks in this drawer.  Some socks in that drawer.  Some organized in trays.  Some not.  Ugh!! So I was off to find some drawer organizers.  They had to be shallow since the top drawer of the dresser is very shallow. 


A few weeks ago, I was in the closet organization section at our local Walmart looking for large storage bins.  I found large gray fabric bins which I loved and they worked perfectly for storage in the basement.  When I went back to that department, I found these matching gray fabric drawer organizers from Better Homes and Gardens.


These three compartment fabric organizers were perfect for the job.


I bought two.  There seemed to be enough space in both of these for my sock collection.  The drawer could easily hold two of them, but not three.  So I set about getting them in place.


The next thing I knew, I had all my socks organized in one place.  Casual, weekend socks on the right top two trays.  Then, ankle socks to wear with sneakers and other casual shoes.    In the top tray on the right are Ike Behar dress socks and sock garters.  I only wear the sock garters if I am going to be at a special affair or a meeting where I will be sitting.  There is nothing worse than having your socks down around your ankles, especially in a formal setting.  Not a good look.  In the middle tray on the right are heavy dark, navy woolen socks for the winter months to be worn with boots.  One pair of brown socks.  (I am not a fan of brown socks.) Next to the brown socks is a pair from Brooks Brothers with marlins embroidered.  And the rest are everyday socks which could be worn in the office or casually.  You can see that I am a fan of Ralph Lauren Polo and Lacoste socks.


I didn't stop with just the two gray fabric organizers for the socks.  In the closet organization department they also had these four compartment drawer organizers.  My mind went to the nightstands on either side of the bed.  So I bought several of these organizers.


And look.  It fit perfectly in the drawer of my nightstand.  I could easily fit all of my essentials to include my DKNY nail kit, a remote, bottles of this and that and the Burt's Bees face cleansing cloths. Off topic for a minute, if you haven't tried the Burt's Bees face cleansing cloths, you don't know what you are missing.  They are not heavily perfumed, so they work for guys or gals.  Yes, guys faces get dirty too.  The cucumber and grapefruit scents are very nice.  And soothing.  Wipe down your face and neck just before getting comfortable in bed.  You will be asleep in no time.  Pick some up today. I bought these at CVS, but I'm certain you could get them at other similar stores.

So there you have it.  My attempt at organizing the sock drawer and the nightstand drawers.  I was successful and you can be too.  And remember, we found these drawer organizers at Walmart.  So you can organize and not spend an enormous amount of money.  Saving money and getting organized.  Does it get any better than that?

No comments: