Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Martha Releases "Entertaining - A Year of Celebrations"

When I heard that Martha was releasing "Entertaining - A Year of Celebrations" I knew it was a must-have.  I ran an errand during lunch today which landed me at 11 Dupont Circle in downtown Washington.  My errand was a quick stop to drop off a check for two tables for an upcoming event with the National Women's Law Center.  It just so happens that on the first floor of this building there is a "Books-A-Million" bookstore.  I had not been in this store for many, many years so it took me a little while to find my way around.  I finally found the book in the "Baking" section of the store.  I was shocked at the size of it.  It is huge!  10 x 11-1/2 and 432 pages, including the Index.  Pictorially, it is magnificent.  The cover is beautiful, both front and back.  I've only just had a chance to flip through it briefly but the layout seems to have lots and lots of photos for the projects written about.  I believe this will become a classic much like her original "Entertaining."

(This photo taken on the P Street Bridge over the C&O Canal in Georgetown at 1:15 PM, 11/2/11)


I purchased a copy of her original "Entertaining" 30 years ago when she was still relatively unknown.  It was probably 10 years after that purchase that I was sitting with a friend enjoying a pitcher of martinis on the deck, when he turned to me and said, "Have you heard of this woman, . . . Martha Stewart?"  I think I was probably on my second or third martini at the time and my response was something akin to "HEARD of her?!  I want to BE her in my next life!!"  Little did either of us know then of the success Mrs. Stewart would achieve.  A creative force in the domestic arts that to date is unparalleled.

If you can, get a copy of this new book.  I do not think you will be disappointed.

No comments: