Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!

As most of you already know, last Friday was my birthday.  Somewhere in the early 50’s birthday, and that’s as far as I’ll go.  It was a really wonderful day and weekend.  The day started off with the delivery of this beautiful floral arrangement and card.  Just the right size.  Not overdone and not just a container of mums.  This is perfection.



You also see a box here from “Baked & Wired” which is a delicious bakery on 31st Street, NW in Georgetown.  My dear, dear friend Yvonne presented this little box to me on Friday morning.  It contained a carrot cake cupcake with cream cheese frosting.  There simply aren’t words to describe how delicious it was.  Thank you so much Yvonne.

As for the rest of the day, I was entertained at the Dewey Street address Friday evening.  Festivities began promptly at 7:00 PM.  Guest list included me, Baxter, Steven and Lea.  Lea brought the most delicious guacamole we can remember ever having.  I must follow up with her on that recipe.  Steven served toast points with a lovely brie and chutney and a 2001 Chateau Montelana Chardonnay which was really a treat.  This bottle was from the purchase we made when we visited Napa Valley in 2009.  Some background on the vineyard:



“Chateau Montelena is a Napa Valley winery most famous for winning the white wine section of the historic
"Judgement of Paris" wine competition. Chateau Montelena's Chardonnay was in competition with nine other wines
from France and California under blind tasting. All 11 judges awarded their top scores to either the Chardonnays from
Chateau Montelena or Chalone Winery, another California wine producer. A fictionalized version of Chateau Montelena's historic victory was featured in the 2008 film Bottle Shock.”

As the evening wore on, Steven’s brother, Bob, stopped by to raise a glass with us.  He also stayed for dinner which consisted of lobster tails, steamed broccoli rabe and saffron rice.  After dinner we sat in the living room in front of the fire and I opened gifts and had a glass or two or three of wine and enjoyed lively and spirited conversation for the rest of the evening.  The party ended around 12:30 AM and I had a restful night.

The rest of the weekend was delightful.  I worked in the yard on Saturday, cleaning up leaves and bagging up yard debris and generally cleaning up.  I had eight bags of yard waste for the guys to pick up on Monday morning, so that was a productive day.  Sunday was spent preparing for the upcoming week – laundry, sorting the mail, those sorts of things.  I did spend some time working on the redo of my bedroom closet.  I could have finished that project but for the fact that my brad nailer gun jammed and I still have not figured out what the problem is.  Hopefully I can get that taken care of this week so that I can finish the closet and get my clothes moved back in there.

So that was my birthday this year.  A really wonderful time and I wouldn’t have changed a thing.

No comments: